Managing music, photos, downloads and many other types of files on Mac is always a challenging and time-consuming task. There might be a lot of duplicate files clutter up in different folders on your disk, and this can cause storage issues on our Mac computer over time. So how to find and delete these duplicates from Mac? Here we’ll show to 3 simple methods to delete duplicate files on Mac, no matter you are using MacBook Pro/Air, Mac mini, or iMac:
- Manually Find & Remove Duplicate Items in iTunes
- Update Mac to macOS Sierra to Delete Duplicate Downloads Automatically
- Use Duplicates Finder App to Delete Duplicate Files on Mac
1. Manually Find & Remove Duplicate Items in iTunes
There is a built-in feature in iTunes that allows you to find and delete duplicates in your iTunes Library, like music, movies, TV shows, etc. For example, if you want to remove duplicate songs in iTunes, your get it done with following steps:
- Open iTunes.
- Choose Library tab and select Music > Songs.
- Click File at the top of the iTunes window, choose Library > Show Duplicate Items.
- Select the duplicates that you want to delete, right-click and choose Delete From Library.
2. Update Mac to macOS Sierra to Delete Duplicate Downloads Automatically
The new OS of Mac – macOS Sierra has a new feature that can help users save storage space on Mac computer. It will automatically detect duplicate downloads in Safari and keep only the most recent version of the download. Thus, you can update your Mac to macOS Sierra to use this feature to automatically delete duplicate download files on Mac.
3. Use Duplicates Finder App to Delete Duplicate Files on Mac
Except removing duplicates on Mac with the built-in feature of Mac OS, you can also turn to some third-party duplicates remover for Mac to complete this task. Here are some popular Mac duplicates finders and you can visit their official websites for more details if you are interested.
- Gemini 2
- Tidy Up 4
By removing copied songs, pictures or other larger files, you can reclaim storage space on your Mac. In addition, this can also be a good solution to speed up your Mac if it get slow.