For users who frequently use iTunes to sync files to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, iTunes error -54 is not a strange error. When it occurs, iTunes will pop up a message says: “The iPhone [Device Name] cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54).”
What is iTunes error -54 and how to this iTunes sync error when you sync contents from computer to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Now follow this article to get the answers.
Related Reading: Full List of iTunes Problems You May Meet
What is iTunes Unknown Error -54
Actually, iTunes sync error -54 is a file permission issue and it occurs on both Mac and Windows computer. You will see this iTunes error message if you try to sync a file on your computer or iOS device is locked.
How to Fix iTunes Error -54 When Sync iPhone/iPad/iPod
In most cases, when you see iTunes error -54, you can click OK button to continue the sync. If it doesn’t work for you, try following methods to fix iTunes error -54.
1. Update your iTunes to latest version.
Open iTunes software on your computer > click iTunes option in the upper left menu bar > choose Check for Updates to install the latest iTunes 12.5.5.
2. Check for issues with third-party security software.
Apple believes that some third-party software including security software may interfere with the sync process between your computer and your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Therefore, you can change your security software’s setup or temporarily stop the software to see if it fixes iTunes sync error -54.
3. Change permissions of iTunes folder on Windows computer.
Click Start > File Explorer > Music, right click iTunes folder and choose Properties. In General tab, uncheck Read-only option under Attributes, and then apply the change.
4. Run iTunes in administrative mode on Windows computer.
Sign into Windows as an administrator, right click iTunes icon > Properties > Compatibility, check to run as administrator.
5. Other general solutions to fix iTunes unknown error -54
- Delete re-download and re-import contents from iTunes.
- Consolidate the media files in your iTunes library.
- Use an iTunes alternative to transfer files between computer and iOS device.