Apple iTunes aims to help you sync, backup and restore data on your iOS devices, and plays an important role in the management of your media files on your Windows and Mac computer. Apple keeps improving performances of iTunes software, but can’t stop variety of errors popping up when people try to sync, update, or restore iPhone/iPad with iTunes, even the iTunes 12.6 and recently released iTunes 12.7.
Some users have ever reported on forums saying iTunes keeps crashing and freezing after updating to new iTunes 12.6, and a user shared his experience on Apple Discussions:
“I updated iTunes to 12.6 and it continually crashes. I now have seven iTunes crash logs as well as one iTunesHelper crash log. Has anyone seen this? I am running on an early 2009 iMac so I’m topped out at 10.11.6, fully patched with whatever Apple allows updates to.”
As above, you may also meet this kind of issue even after you update to iTunes 12.6 or 12.7. And if your iTunes keeps freezing, you can neither restore nor update your iOS device via iTunes.
6 Penitential Tips to Fix iTunes Keeps Crashing and Freezing
Actually, iTunes crashing is one of common iTunes issues happening on a PC or Mac. Sometimes you can easily fix it by a simply restart but sometimes it’s hard to resolve. Below we summarize some potential solutions for people in this trouble.
- Restart iTunes. You can restart you iTunes and try again.
- Sign out your iTunes account and then go to relaunch the iTunes. After you sign in again, your iTunes may work.
- Restart your computer and re-open iTunes app.
- Reinstall iTunes. Completely uninstall iTunes on your computer, download iTunes installer from Apple official site and then re-install it.
- Update iTunes to latest version.
- Downgrade iTunes to previous version. Give up the current version and downgrade to previous version if the previous iTunes works well without crashing and freezing.
Besides, people can use alternatives to iTunes instead of trying hundreds of methods to fix iTunes crashing or freezing. For example, when crashing stops you from sync iPhone, you can use some iPhone transfer software to transfer data between your iPhone and computer or iTunes.