Touch ID gives us secure access to iPhone and iPad faster and easier without need of entering passcode or password. And we can also use it to make a purchase in the App Store or log into some third-party apps. Though iPhone’s fingerprint sensor has better performance over most of other smartphones, it is still not perfect. For one thing, some users reported that iPhone Touch ID not working randomly after iOS 10.3/iOS 10.3.1 update. And other Touch ID issues you might face include:
- “Unable to complete Touch ID setup” error
- “Unable to activate Touch ID on this iPhone” error
- Touch ID not working after screen replacement
- Touch ID not working when using third-party apps
Before sending your iPhone to iPhone to Apple Repair Center, you might want to have a try following methods to see if you could fix iPhone Touch ID issues on your own.
5 Methods to Fix Touch ID Not Working on iPhone 7/6s/SE/6/5s
Method 1: Clean iPhone Home button
The first thing you can do to fix iPhone Touch ID not working is to remove any dirt or sweat from the Touch ID sensor. You can clean the Home button with a smooth cloth. Then, try again with a clean and dry finger.
Method 2: Delete and re-add your Touch ID fingerprints
If there is any registered fingerprint stops working, you can delete it and re-add through following steps:
- Go to Settings and scroll down, tap on Touch ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode when prompted.
- Swipe from right to left on any fingerprints to delete it.
- Tap on “Add Fingerprint…” and follow the on-screen steps to set up a new fingerprint.
Method 3: Add more fingerprints
Touch ID can be trained to recognize up to five different fingers. So you can add more fingerprints in case your iPhone suddenly stop recognizing a fingerprint. When register a new finger, please make sure to lift and rest your finger on the Home button properly.
Method 4: A trick a fix Touch ID not working on iPhone 7/6s/SE/6/5s
There is a trick that has proved to be effective by many iPhone users you can try.
- Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode.
- Turn off iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store.
- Reboot your iPhone by pressing Sleep/wake button and Home button.
- Go back to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode and then turn on iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store.
- Tap on Add a Fingerprint to add another fingerprint as usual.
Method 5: Update iOS
If none of above solutions works, you can update your iPhone to the latest iOS version to see if Apple has fixed this issue. Currently the latest iOS version is iOS 10.3.1, or you can install iOS 10.3.2 public beta on your iPhone.